Come experience the LOVE in Montpelier!
Pictures taken by Jim Sheridan
Valentine’s is a wonderful day in Montpelier. Tradition now has it that a Valentine’s Phantom (or phantoms) plaster the city with red hearts in the wee hours of the morning. In past year’s extra large hearts have also been added to the Kellogg-Hubbard Library, the cliff over Elm Street, Vermont College of Fine Arts, and the Vermont State House. What will the phantom come up with this year? Who knows!
This year, downtown merchants are also sweetening the holiday weekend with “Sweets & Treats” sale. Just choose a “Sweet” from the candy basket by the register at participating stores, and you will receive a “Treat”…a discount off your purchase. Participating retailers include Vermont Trading Company, The Shoe Horn, Global Gifts, Delish, Splash, Athena’s, The Cheshire Cat, and The Drawing Board.
Other fun Valentine’s plans also abound in Montpelier. In addition to taking your sweetie out to dinner, consider one of these events:
• Father/Daughter Dance Open to All Families. Dad, Relative, or Special Friend and Daughters of all ages. Music, Dancing, Refreshments, and More. Thursday, February 11, 2010from 6:30pm - 8:30pm at Capitol Plaza. $15-Advance Tickets sold at the Montpelier Recreation Office(per Father & Daughter/s). $20-At the Door(per Father & Daughter/s). This event is co-sponsored with the Capital Plaza, Central Vermont's Premiere Hotel and Conference Center
• Give the gift of a wine class taught by renowned local sommelier David Garaventa. Wine 101 - "Wine is For Lovers": Three Different Wines for Three Different Ways to Celebrate Love Thursday February 11th, 2010 from 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm. Classes held at the Chef's Table, 118 Main Street, Montpelier. This class is designed to inspire romance in a number of ways with wine. Whether you want to celebrate in style or just curl up by the fire with someone you love, there's a wine for that. Bring a loved one and join us as we take a look at three different wines that can help set the mood or add to the plans you already have.
• The HOT PINK Party at Langdon Street Cafe featuring FULL TANG :: 9pm
Boston's world rock quartet FULL TANG (with members of SUPERPOWERS) shakes up the Valentines weekend with a dance party that will knock your pink socks off. Dress in pink and enter the pink gates for just $3. Come as you are and pay $5. PINK PINK PINK! Make out booth for all you lovers out there!
Genre: world music
• Widening the Circles of Compassion~ A Valentine's Weeekend Anusara-Inspired Workshop with Anjali at Yoga Mountain to benefit Haiti and the Saint Rock Clinic. Saturday Feb. 13th, from 10-12:30 pm at Yoga Mountain Center . Must pre-register to get a spot- spaces are limited. Yoga will be followed by a delicious array of...mmm...free chocolate sampling. Come join Anjali for this All-levels, challenging class which will begin with a focus on offering unconditional love and friendliness (metta) to our very own hearts. We'll expand this focus in widening circles to our friends, families, partners, and ultimately to embrace the whole world. Practice expansive and heart-opening back bends, playful partner poses, deep forward bowing to the Self, hip openers to broaden our hips and lower back, and whole group supportive circular poses to expand our vision and link with the entire jewel-like web of life. All-levels are welcome, but some yoga experience necessary. Modifications will be given.
• Press on the Valentine Phantom:
Also, check out the Montpelier Phanton Valentine Phan page on Facebook.
Independence Day Celebration in Montpelier -- Thursday, July 3rd
39 Main Street
Montpelier, Vt 05602